A conversation between guys, together on the journey of life and spirituality.

Friday, March 23, 2007

Aroma of Christ

I am impressed with your answer to my (in retrospect) supremely vague and ugly question. Even reading the question now sends my mind on a wild journey with no clear end that could last for days if it wasn't for all the demands of life slapping me back into reality. Yet you tackled it excellently, and it only took you two months.

Your response makes me think of 2 Corinthians:

12Now when I went to Troas to preach the gospel of Christ and found that the Lord had opened a door for me, 13I still had no peace of mind, because I did not find my brother Titus there. So I said good-by to them and went on to Macedonia. 14But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. 15For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. 16To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task? 17Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, like men sent from God. (NIV)


I think this paints ones of the most beautiful pictures of our role in the spreading of Jesus message. For me, it sparks a sense of confidence, knowing the Spirit is doing the work and I am merely wearing the scent of Christ which draws people to Him. It takes the burden off of my shoulders to try and DO anything, and in turn, allows me to simply (I say simply with a bit of apprehension, being fully aware of the temptations of our nature that we fight day in and day out) live pursuing Jesus heart in my life.

No comments: