A conversation between guys, together on the journey of life and spirituality.

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Christians Must Act

After our 3 hour group conversation about war on Tuesday night, Matt, I'm surprised you would make a post on it. My brain is pretty much spent on the matter. However, I do know when God's moral law is challenged, we as Christians must act. Whether it is segregation and we respond in nonviolence or the genocide of millions and we respond in force, there surely is a time and a place for Christian to act.

I do appreciate your post Nitish. Specifically:

"He will give us a fire for a reason. Something that we must believe in strongly, and that we would want to fight for it."
In the future - situations will arise, events will occur, decisions will be made, words will be spoken, actions will be taken and we as followers of Christ we will have to decide how to respond in a God pleasing manner. I pray the Spirit will give us the wisdom and courage for when such circumstances arise to stand up when we need to stand up, and to fight for what needs to be fought for.

Interestingly enough, when I got home today I found a package from my Oma (German for Grandmother). In it was a book titled "Kingdoms in Conflict" by Charles Colson. One question tackled (Matt, I know you have asked something similar in the past) is "Do ministers have any business running for political office?". What stands out to me the most was something my Oma writes in the letter that accompanied the book. She states "This book gives a concise outline, if you will, of the Church's role in politics and war, historically". It should be an interesting read.

- UPDATE 4/1/07 -

My brother hooked me up with a book (He's a manager of a Parable Books store) I spotted a few weeks ago on Bonhoeffer, "Bonhoeffer Speaks Today" by Mark Devine. Any highly regarded Christian theologian who wrote a book called "Ethics" and was later imprisoned and hung for being actively involved in an assination plot surely must provide a relevant perspective on the topic.

No comments: