A conversation between guys, together on the journey of life and spirituality.

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Going To War

I searched in my study bible about the topic of war. Only one place talks about it, and only specifically it. Deuteronomy 20: Going To War.

But while this is the passage about war, it does not say anything about why to go to war. It says to only faithful that God will deliver you. It says to have faith, and it also explains about how to treat your opposition, before and after they have been defeated.

But. Nothing on why.

When I was in a Christian private school when I lived in California, my English teacher always told me: "You know what it is that God wants you to do, you know what your calling is, because thats the fire the God sets in your heart. He will set the fire in your heart for what he wants you to do, so that you will aim for it, and want to do it."

I believe that. I think that if God wants us to go to war, it's a fire He will give us by the spirit. And I don't mean blood lust. I don't mean He will give us the urge to just go out there and start shooting. I mean, He will give us a fire for reason. Something that we must believe in strongly, and that we would want to fight for it. And so the fire goes in our hearts, and thus we want to fight. Hence comes in the Deuteronomy. He helps us to stay confident in the midst of battle.

This is only my opinion.

I believe it strongly.

I have always been infatuated with the military. I love it. The discipline, the honor, the obedience, the trust, the brotherhood. I do plan to join, after my studies are complete, in hopes to use my skills in the military. I know this is something I want to do for a fact, because I have a fire for it, and can't see myself doing anything else really. Everything happens for a reason, and that if this is what I'm set on doing, it must be my calling. Of course common sense has a large part to play in this as well. I mean if I had a strong feeling to kill someone in revenge, surely that isn't God talking to me.

-Aquila

No comments: